Feed your brain with AxonIQ Academy: Neuro-inspired learning paths for event-driven architecture
Two years ago, AxonIQ launched AxonIQ Academy to make Event Sourcing within event-driven architecture more accessible to developers. The academy begins with a brief explanation of how Domain-Driven Design (DDD), Command Query Responsibility Separation (CQRS), and Event Sourcing (ES) can help build applications that can be better prepared to scale in a distributed architecture. Now, we're customizing the learning experience to make it even easier for developers to navigate this journey.
Learners can choose a path tailored to their role—Java development, other programming languages, or operations. Each path is carefully structured to build on core principles and explore deeper into specialized topics.
In the upcoming sections, we will continue to explain the learning paths using a brain analogy, helping you visualize the interconnected nature of the knowledge you'll gain at AxonIQ Academy.
Fundamental knowledge: the brain's core
AxonIQ Academy starts with foundational knowledge, similar to the brain's core functions. This knowledge forms the synaptic connections that support more advanced learning. Regardless of specialization, learners grasp the basic principles that underpin Axon Framework and Axon Server by starting with Introduction to DDD, CQRS, and Event Sourcing, moving to Implementing DDD, CQRS, and Event Sourcing with Axon.
Specialized learning paths: Diverging neural pathways
Starting with fundamental knowledge, the learning paths diverge like neural pathways, guiding learners to different areas of expertise tailored to their interests, roles, and professional domains.
After getting the fundamental knowledge, Java developers follow a path that focuses on the capabilities of the Axon Framework. The courses are structured logically and build upon each other to provide a comprehensive learning experience.
- Designing complex processes with Axon: You'll start this path by learning to orchestrate processes across multiple software applications, focusing on Bounded Contexts and ProcessManagers - key concepts in managing complex workflows within a system.
- Advanced message handling: Building on that foundation, you'll delve into the technical aspects of how information is exchanged within the software modules, components, and applications, covering technical components like Message Interceptors and Upcasters to ensure effective communication between different parts of the application.
- Axon Server as a messaging platform: Next, you'll explore the technical infrastructure that facilitates the exchange of information, focusing on how Axon Server offers advanced routing capabilities, ensuring that messages within your application are delivered accurately and efficiently. It recognizes the unique communication patterns required for different types of messages, such as commands, events, and queries, and routes them accordingly to maintain a seamless flow of information.
- Axon Server as an event store: This course will teach you the technicalities of event storage, where you'll learn how Axon Server acts as a repository for events, providing a historical record that can be used for auditing, analysis, or replaying events to recover from system failures., as Event Storage is a critical yet often neglected aspect of messaging infrastructure planning in event-sourcing architectures.
- Monitoring and tracing event-driven applications (in progress): Here, you'll learn to monitor the health of the software system and trace the flow of events, using tools and techniques to diagnose and resolve issues, ensuring the system performs optimally.
- Large-scale distributed systems with Axon: The final course prepares you to scale and manage the software as it grows, focusing on the technical challenges of running Axon Server in a distributed environment, including clustering, load balancing, and ensuring high availability.
This logical sequence ensures Java developers acquire a comprehensive skill set for building and managing event-driven architectures with Axon.
Other developers take a route that strengthens their understanding of integrating AxonIQ products with diverse programming languages.
We're still enhancing our course offerings to cater to developers using various programming languages, not just Java, focusing on the universal applicability of Axon Server's features, specifically Axon Synapse.
The sequence starts with Axon Server as a messaging platform and Axon Server as an event store to help you with message routing and delivery principles applicable to any tech stack. Afterward, this path delves into security.
- Securing Axon Server: Security is language-agnostic, and this course ensures developers understand how to implement robust security measures within Axon Server. You'll learn about setting up access permissions, using security tokens, establishing secure connections, and encrypting data, which are essential skills for protecting applications in any programming language.
By focusing on the platform-agnostic features of Axon Server, these courses provide valuable knowledge that any developer can apply, regardless of their programming background.
For operations professionals, AxonIQ Academy's courses follow a logical flow, starting with messaging, moving to storing, securing, scaling, monitoring, and finally managing:
The sequence starts with Axon Server as a messaging platform, then Axon Server as an event store, setting the stage for all subsequent operations tasks and system integrity, then moving to Securing Axon Server, ensuring compliance with security policies, moving to Large Scale Distributed Systems with Axon to gain insights into managing Axon Server in large-scale environments, focusing on resilience and agility, then Monitoring and tracing event-driven applications to digest the system behavior monitoring and message tracing to maintain system health, Finally moving to:
- Managing an Axon Server Cluster (in progress) to oversee an Axon Server cluster, ensuring optimal performance and reliability.
This sequence ensures operations developers are equipped to handle the full spectrum of tasks associated with Axon Server environments.
Freedom to navigate: The brain's plasticity
AxonIQ Academy offers the freedom to navigate your learning journey, just as the brain's plasticity allows it to adapt and form new connections throughout our lives. You can delve deeper into topics of interest or relevance to your projects through standalone courses and bundled resources. This multi-dimensional learning approach reflects the complex and interconnected nature of the brain itself – ensuring non-linear intellectual growth.
Pulse sessions: Strengthening synaptic connections
Complementing self-paced courses are Pulse Sessions, live interactive experiences reinforcing your knowledge. These sessions provide practice and consolidation of concepts, much like neurons in the brain firing together to strengthen memory or skill. They ensure the information you acquire becomes a permanent addition to your cognitive repertoire.
Command center: Exclusive access for AxonIQ customers
As the brain's command center directs actions based on individual goals and experiences, AxonIQ offers exclusive access to resources, tools, and personalized customer support. This tailored experience aligns with your unique needs and objectives.
AxonIQ Academy is a comprehensive learning platform that engages and enhances your understanding of key concepts. Pulse Sessions reinforce your knowledge, ensuring retention. Whether you're a Java developer, non-Java developer, or operations professional, the Academy offers tailored paths to expand your expertise. While the brain analogy shows the interconnectedness of our courses, the real value lies in the solid, practical knowledge you gain, empowering you to excel in your field.